Thursday, July 9, 2009

on-some-sasha-fierce-if-u-like-it-put-a-ring-on-it-type-ish

I read an article, well actually, two articles online about marriage and stuff, bare with me as I try to remember what it said... ok I remember it saying something like most men know within a few weeks or months if a female is "marriage material" and they know within a few more months if they want to marry that female. True???

yay! I just found one of the articles!

Ok, they were exploring the issue of couples basically "shackin' up" They posed the question, "how long is too long to wait for a marriage proposal?"

Women seem more eager to get married, but that may be because that kind of starts when you're little. You wanna grow up and get married in a pretty white dress and have little kiddies, maybe a dog or something? idk. most girls have probably even sketched a potential/dream wedding dress design, out of boredom or fantasy, wateverrr.

The main issue still is, how long IS too long? One part I read that really hit me, and I was like truuuuuu is


“The problem with so many relationships where people
want a commitment is that they’ve already given everything away that would be of potential benefit. You don’t have to get married today to have kids. You don’t have to get married today to have sex. You don’t have to get married today to
share bank accounts. Where’s the benefit?”
CHUUURCH! lolz but seriously, that is so true. Why would a man be eager to marry you if he already reaps the benefits he would if you were wife? Statistics show that after 5 years, the chances of getting a ring are pretty slim, according to the article. Writer, Janelle Harris recalls making sure her nails were done every holiday just in case her boyfriend of SIX YEARS decided to pop the question..
Ok, I'm 20 and no where near the possibility of exchanging wedding vows. Most of my peers are probably in the same boat. Especially since most of us are in college and just joining the dub club (sorry teenagers) But if you're 20+ and have like a live-in boyfriend and yall have been together at least 2 years, you should be thinking about marriage at least. If not, what is the point? sex? idk..
I asked my aunt today how long did she think is too long to wait for a proposal? She said after a year. I agree, in her case or once there is that level of maturity in the relationship. After a while, who wants to casual date all the time? What is the point going through the motions and spending so much time with one person if you don't plan on being with them in the long run?

I think it is important to note that, a proposal doesn't mean, lets get married tomorrow. It shows that he at least sees you in his future, as his wife; claims you as "his;" and wants to move toward becoming Mr. and Mrs. bla bla..

Money may be an issue, as far as a wedding is concerned. but like i said, he can at least express to you that he wants to and plans to "wife you up" lolz. I mean, as his lady, you should know his financial situation anyways, but, shackin up for more than 2 years without a ring is no bueno! (court! lolz)


I don't think I'm done here, so I may write more and re-post


1 comment: